Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Harvesting Herbs With Kids: Horsetail


A couple of weeks ago, my son pulled some horsetail out of the ground and asked me what it was. I had been looking at the horsetail and thinking that we should harvest some. It's a lovely herb, high in silica, an essential trace mineral important for the formation of bone, connective tissue, as well as healthy hair, skin and nails. We have a nice big patch of horsetail in our yard and it was the perfect time to harvest it, so that's just what we did! We cut our horsetail a few inches above the root. This ensures that they will grow back.





After we collected all of our horsetail, we spread them out in a single layer to dry. Using a sheet tacked to the ceiling works really well. After a few days, the horsetail is ready to be placed in a sealed jar for storage.

I didn't know that much about horsetail, just how to identify it, that it is high in silica and can be used as a diuretic. I enjoyed reading about horsetail on herbwisdom.com and in a few of my herbals here at home. I think it's really neat to note that horsetail used to be a big tree and reproduces by spores and not by seed. After millions of years of evolution, it is now just a little tree-like herb instead of the towering tree it was hundreds of millions of years ago.

I love introducing the children to herbs this way. They think it's so exciting to make a tea of the horsetail we picked ourselves. And so do I.

♥ Andrea ♥

2 comments:

  1. We have tons of this by the lake.... :) I just thought it was a weed. Good to know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the name suggests, formation of bag like structures around the eyes is one of the major symptoms of this disorder. Other symptoms of eye bags that help a doctor diagnose this condition so that an appropriate treatment can be started according to the severity of the problem.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment today! ♥